Hi again - been thinking lately of the role that God has in my life. The analogy is often used - described as light versus darkness.
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105
Think about driving at night. I recall that this was quite challenging when I first learned to drive. The whole thing about the low and high beams, and switching at the right time so you don't blind the oncoming driver. (Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed teaching each of you to drive! First the bicycle and then the car! )
I see an analogy here with God's word (which we experience through prayer, the bible, or more often the moment by moment thoughts the Spirit of God drops into us). It is the low beam - "the lamp to my feet" - shining right in front of me on the immediate things - decisions, choices, the day to day stuff. Then it is also the high beam - "the light to my path" - shining down the road of my life to illuminate the direction I am going, to give me wisdom and understanding as I consider the future.
The important thing is to know when to switch the beam from low to high and back again.
When I was around 16, Father Hardy drove to Chicago with Harry J, Harry VB and myself. Father Hardy had an old Valiant, which had the push button automatic on the dash (pretty different). Anyway, the problem with the car was that it had no functioning high beam lights. So the whole time we were focused on the road right in front of us, having no idea about what was coming up just down the road. The trip would have been more enjoyable, and safer, if we had been able to use the high beams.
Walk in God's light today.
Love,
Papa
Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105
Think about driving at night. I recall that this was quite challenging when I first learned to drive. The whole thing about the low and high beams, and switching at the right time so you don't blind the oncoming driver. (Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed teaching each of you to drive! First the bicycle and then the car! )
I see an analogy here with God's word (which we experience through prayer, the bible, or more often the moment by moment thoughts the Spirit of God drops into us). It is the low beam - "the lamp to my feet" - shining right in front of me on the immediate things - decisions, choices, the day to day stuff. Then it is also the high beam - "the light to my path" - shining down the road of my life to illuminate the direction I am going, to give me wisdom and understanding as I consider the future.
The important thing is to know when to switch the beam from low to high and back again.
When I was around 16, Father Hardy drove to Chicago with Harry J, Harry VB and myself. Father Hardy had an old Valiant, which had the push button automatic on the dash (pretty different). Anyway, the problem with the car was that it had no functioning high beam lights. So the whole time we were focused on the road right in front of us, having no idea about what was coming up just down the road. The trip would have been more enjoyable, and safer, if we had been able to use the high beams.
Walk in God's light today.
Love,
Papa

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home